Eastbury Hall, as it was formerly known, was built between 1560 and 1573 for Clement Sisley, a successful merchant, and his growing family, on land that was formerly owned by Barking Abbey. At that time, it would have been a country house, far removed from the City of London and in stark contrast to its position today in Barking town centre.
One of a small number of Elizabethan gentry houses that has survived, Eastbury Manor House was saved from demolition in the early twentieth century by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) and the National Trust. It is managed by the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham.
See also: Sutton House