Built in 1535 by Sir Ralph Sadler, a protégé of Thomas Cromwell, who owned nearby King’s Place, Sutton House (then known as ‘Bryk Place’) was a substantial residence for the man who was soon to become Principal Secretary to Henry VIII. In the mid-16th century, Hackney was a quiet rural village, popular with many of the nobility who built houses there as country retreats, away from court.
Despite many different uses, and alternations over the centuries, much of the Tudor interior of Sutton House remains and can be visited today, as part of a guided tour.
More information: The Tudor Travel Guide's Sutton House & Tudor Hackney: Ralph Sadler's Nouveau-Riche 'Bryk Place'
See also: Eastbury Manor House
Guide to 35 Tudor Places in London
Sign up to the Tudor Places mailing list and get our free guide to 35 places in London with Tudor connections