Located on the southern end of Putney bridge, St Mary’s contains an early sixteenth century chapel, built for Bishop Nicholas West.
Born in Putney, West became Bishop of Ely in 1515 and was Chaplain to Katharine of Aragon during the difficult later years of her marriage to Henry VIII and its subsequent annulment. He commissioned this chapel and a chantry chapel in Ely cathedral, where he is buried.
Bishop West’s chapel, the fifteenth century tower and some pillars and arcades in the nave survive from the medieval period but much of the church was reconstructed in the early nineteenth century.
Guide to 35 Tudor Places in London
Sign up to the Tudor Places mailing list and get our free guide to 35 places in London with Tudor connections
Image Credits: Tudor Places