The Rose Theatre, owned by Philip Henslowe, was built in 1587 and thus was the first theatre on Bankside, pre-dating the Swan and the Globe. Plays by Thomas Kyd and Christopher Marlowe, and some by the up and coming Shakespeare, were performed there. Abandoned by 1606, its remains were excavated in 1989 by The Museum of London.
Part of the Rose Playhouse site has re-opened for performances, and excavation of the original theatre foundations and artefacts can be seen.
Guide to 35 Tudor Places in London
Sign up to the Tudor Places mailing list and get our free guide to 35 places in London with Tudor connections