The original Globe Theatre opened in Southwark, on the south bank of the River Thames, in 1599. William Shakespeare was one of the founding shareholders in the very popular theatre and most of his plays were performed there. The firing of a stage cannon during a performance of Henry VIII in 1613 created a fire in the thatched roof and the theatre burned to the ground. It was rebuilt but subsequently demolished again in 1644.
Part of the original Globe Theatre site can still be seen behind Anchor Terrace in Park Street, where an information board marks the spot.
Buy the Latest Issue
Try Issue 9, the latest issue of Tudor Places magazine