An avenue of double oaks leads to a mellow Tudor building with fine detailing, surrounded by a large, fish-filled moat with two outer moats. The site dates from the Anglo-Saxon period.
The house has recently undergone an award-winning restoration. The adjoining barn, also 16th century and earlier, is one of the longest in the country, part of which is thought to have been an early court hall.
The garden with courtyard following 16th-century footings, formal pool garden and knot garden, has all recently been designed by Xa Tollemache.
The manorial history at Crow’s Hall dates back to 1086 and the site could have been occupied from earliest times. Its name, however, would seem to derive from the occupation of John Crow in the late thirteenth century. It has been suggested that they were a Yarmouth family who made their money in shipping. It was bought by Jenk in Framlingham in 1397 and passed by descent until the late seventeenth century.
In 2005, Crow’s Hall was purchased by the current owner who has undertaken an extensive repair schedule on the house, prepared and managed by Nicholas Jacob Architects and executed by R & J Hogg, including re-roofing and the removal of some late 20th century additions. These works have received awards for Craftsmanship by the Suffolk Association of Architects.
The owner has also landscaped the inner moat, the design of which has been influenced by traditional gardens and includes a kitchen, formal garden with dipping pool, and a courtyard following early foundations of the former Hall and south wing.
The tour begins with the exterior of house and barns, internal of part of the 16th-century barn, more detail of the house exterior and gardens before a tour of the house and tea.
Tickets £20 including tea and cakes.
Crow's Hall, IP14 6NG
Event organiser is Historic Houses.
Disclaimer: All information was correct when the listing was prepared. Any questions about the event should be directed to the event organiser.