Until the Dissolution, the manor was held by Eye Priory. Most of the rooms have their early seventeenth-century decorative schemes intact or restored.
Thomas Dunston (resident 1610-1657) was responsible for the layout of the painted rooms, two enriched plaster ceilings and, in his new kitchen, a remarkable painted and inscribed ceiling with magical symbols to ward off witches. The sub-divided two-acre gardens around the house have five connecting bridges over the water. There are formal yew hedges and topiary with potager, shrub roses, iris beds and a woodland area.
Tours include the Norman church (provided it is open) the landscape setting, understanding the building and its history from the outside and then the internal rooms.
The tour is followed by tea or coffee with home-made cakes and biscuits.
Event organiser is Bedfield Hall.
Disclaimer: All information was correct when the listing was prepared. Any questions about the event should be directed to the event organiser.